Baseball Draft ProceduresUpdated Wednesday July 18, 2018 by Brookwood Athletic Association Baseball & Softball.
1. All players will be placed into one of two categories:
Category A: Players whose abilities and talents can be verified by Managers or Coaches. These players are ranked as A, B, C, D, E. Players rated C cannot be drafted prior to all A’s being selected, D’s may not be drafted prior to all B’s being selected etc.
Category B: Players whose abilities and talents are unknown to managers and coaches. These players cannot be selected before all known evaluated players are chosen. These can be selected as hat picks, or some other agreed upon random distribution in later rounds.
2. Brothers will be placed on the same team. Once a sibling has been drafted, the other sibling will be discussed and ranked. The drafting Manager would have the opportunity to withdraw his choice or take both siblings as determined.
3. The Draft order will be determined in the following manner:
After the coaches' kids have been rated and assigned to a draft round, points will be assigned to the team based on what round the child is slotted. For instance, a First and Third round slotting will be assigned 4 points (1 + 3). The draft order will be determined by the total number of points assigned to each team, with the Manager having the highest point total selecting first. In the event of a tie, the Manager with the best-rated player or combination will choose last. Further ties will be broken by agreed upon method at the Draft table. Draft order will go from highest sum to the lowest sum in the odd number rounds, then vice versa in the even number rounds.
4. Each team’s Manager and coach will be allowed to freeze their children playing in the same league. If a Manager does not have a coach or if the Manager or coach does not have a child playing, then their order will be determined by taking the round for the one child and multiplying by 2. If neither Manager nor coach has a child, then their draft order will be placed in the middle. If there is a tie in sums, then the stronger pairs will choose after the weaker pair(s). If it cannot be determined who the stronger pair is, then the draft order will be determined by the flip of a coin.
5. Players ranked the same will be placed as follows:
1-1 result 1-2 (rounds)
2-2 result 1-3
3-3 result 2-4 etc.
In the special case of both players being first round draft picks, the designation will be a “1-2”, no third round pick; then a second fourth round pick to be taken at the end of the fourth round.
The following criteria will be discussed in determining the rank of Managers and Coaches kids:
a) Athletic ability
b) Returning All-Star
c) All-Star moving up to next league - Rising All Star
d) Returning starting player/pitcher
6. Each team should be prepared for the draft procedures prior to the draft. Preparation should include but not be limited to; an official numbered listing of all players eligible for the draft, identification of tryout players, identification of siblings/special needs, pens, pencils, hi-liters, marker (anything that helps keep up with the draft). When the draft begins; your selection should include the players’ name and number from the draft list. Each team will be limited to “one minute” to make a selection in any given round. The clock begins to run after the previous selection has been announced and the draft administrator announces it is “your team’s pick”. The administrator will announce that you have 15 seconds to make a choice, if you do not select when time is called, the draft will proceed to the next team in the order. The passed team will then be asked for a choice again, within 15 seconds. This will continue until that team makes a choice.
7. After the completion of at least 8 rounds of drafting; the managers by simple majority vote may speed up the final process of the draft by choosing all remaining players by hat pick. These will be pulled by a neutral observer/asst. in the correct draft order established.
8. Trades between teams will be considered to accommodate special cases, at the conclusion of the draft. All teams are final once the draft meeting is concluded.
9. Team names are assigned using the following criteria:
a) Returning Manager (same league)
b) Manager Moving Up
c) Coaches (same league)
d) Coaches (moving up)
e) New Managers to league
10. Manager must complete team roster for league director.
11. In the younger age groups, if a manager or coach’s child was an All-Star in the previous year in the same age group, the will be an automatic first round draft pick. If they were an All-Star in a younger group, then they will be a third round draft pick. In the older age groups, the same guidelines should be followed generally; however, concessions can be made if the player is not a pitcher. In no case will a returning All-Star player be designated as less than a third round draft pick.
12. Tee Ball teams will be determined by the League Director. Age and experience will be distributed as evenly as possible by the Tee Ball Director. The Tee Ball Director will also make every effort to keep kids with the same returning coaches they played with from previous seasons.